Blog

 

Poison Prevention Tips for Pet Owner’s

Many of us like to add a little potted plant or two to brighten up our homes, but with pets, we have to be cautious and deter from any deadly greenery. If eaten, many plants will likely just make for a sick, puking pet. But depending on the size of the animal, how much they ingest, and what – you could end up at an emergency vet or worse. To prevent a life-threatening situation, try to avoid having these plants either in your home or at least within any reach of your pet.

 

Toxic & Non-Toxic Plants for Cats

Toxic & Non-Toxic Plants for Dogs

Toxic & Non-Toxic Plants for Horses

 

People food - it’s really just for people

We know it’s tempting with those puppy dog eyes staring you down, but it really is best to resist. Table scraps from our meals may be loaded with salt, sugar, and overly processed ingredients which are not so good for us, so why would they be so good for our pets? You can customize and make your pet food from scratch with the proper direction from your vet or dietician. But when we give in and ‘throw them a bone’, we may be doing more harm than good. Below is a long, but incomplete list of foods that are known to be dangerous to pets, particularly dogs and cats.

 

  • Alcoholic beverages, Hops
  • Apple seeds
  • Apricot, peach, and cherry pits
  • Avocados
  • Candy (we know about chocolate and xylitol, but let’s just stay away from all of it.)
  • Coffee or anything caffeinated.
  • Grapes and Raisins
  • Macadamia nuts, walnuts
  • Mushroom plants
  • Mustard seeds
  • Garlic, Onions and onion powder
  • Potato and Tomato leaves and stems (green parts)
  • Raw, undercooked meat, eggs, or bones
  • Salt
  • Yeast doug

 

Harmful household products

Common sense is important when it comes to proper storage of any chemical containing household products. Just keep it behind closed doors, on high shelves, or locked up. Pets get curious when they’re bored or left home alone and that’s when they get into things not meant for them. These are just some items that should not be left out in case of accidental consumption. These items may be toxic, pose a choking hazard, or worse:

 

  • Rat Poison & Bait Traps
  • Batteries
  • All Chemical Cleaners
  • Fertilizer/Herbicide/Insecticide
  • Foam Insulation
  • Paint and paint thinner
  • Foil

 

Keep up to date

When it comes to preventing the poisoning or sickness of our pets, we can use our own judgment and thoughtfulness to help avoid any incidents. Other than limiting or restricting access to certain foods, household items, and plants, it is important to keep up to date on any new information and threats to your pet. You may just save their life.

 

If your pet has been poisoned or ingested something that has caused an immediate concern, please call poison control immediately, they are available 24/7 and they are here to help! (800) 222-1222.

 

Check-In Hours:

Mon-Sat: 7am-6pm

Sun: 12pm-4pm

Checkout: 1pm

Club Pet International All Rights Reserved

©

43743 John Mosby Hwy.

Chantilly, VA. 20152

Phone: 703.471.7818

Fax: 703.327.3401

Email: dogman@clubpet.com

Club Pet

International